Guard Your Health is a resource for Army National Guard Soldiers and family members. Find health-related tools and information. Hear from fellow Soldiers and Families. Make medical readiness part of your personal mission.

I am a SSG in the National Guard and recently changed units. I met a Soldier this drill in my platoon who is going to ETS (End of Term Service) and has some worries about coverage for his family. He has battled cancer and knows he can get health benefits for himself through the VA. I am looking for advice on where I can point him or to help him find a resource. He is a young family man so I would like to be able to help him. After combing through several sites, I am at a loss.

Thank you for your question. We commend you for wanting to help your battle buddy.

He can start by looking at what benefits he and his family might be eligible for. He can also check out TRICARE’s website for information about the TRICARE Retired Reserve plan.

Sponsors and eligible family members may be covered by the Transition Assistance Management Program (TAMP) if the sponsor is a National Guard or reserve member separating from a period of more than 30 consecutive days of active duty service in support of a contingency operation.

If he is not eligible for TAMP, then he may be able to secure health care for his family through other sources:

We recommend that he contact the Transition Assistance Program to help ease his experience separating from the Guard. A Transition Assistance Advisor can provide separation counseling, health and life insurance information, job assistance, and other services to help guide him through the separation process.

He can also talk to his unit commander and/or Medical Readiness NCO, both of whom can help direct him to local resources available. Chaplains and Psychological Health Coordinators are also available to provide confidential support 24/7 if needed.