Thank you for emailing us. It’s totally normal to get in an exercise rut, especially when starting a new routine with school or work. The good news is – you can get back on track with just a few changes.
Here are some tips to help you stay on top of your PT while managing your daily work and school responsibilities:
- Work out in the morning. Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier than usual to get in a workout. You’ll feel great heading into your day.
- Squeeze in a 15-minute workout during lunch or on break. Try our Drill Deck, #WarriorReady Workouts, or Guard Fit mobile app for Android. All are perfect for busy Soldiers like you who are constantly on the go—and none require a gym!
- Learn how to max your APFT. Check out our APFT Max page for a selection of inspirational training guides and workout plans for Soldiers.
- Challenge yourself. Set small goals for the day or week, as well as long-term goals, and crush them!
- Use a fitness tracker. Track your fitness activity daily to make sure you are meeting your personal fitness goals. Fitness trackers can also help remind you to get up and move throughout the day.
- Get suited up! Putting on your workout clothes is half the battle sometimes. Pick up some new workout gear like shorts, shoes, or even just a new water bottle to get excited about training again.
We know it can be difficult to not only stay fit, but eat right when you’re traveling. Here are a few pointers to help:
- Pack healthy snacks in your bag. That way you have something to munch on until you can sit down and have a balanced meal. Some easy choices include fruit, jerky, oat bars, or pre-cut veggies.
- Try to eat protein and veggies at every meal. Filling up on veggies and protein will keep you full longer, help you stay fit, and keep your digestive system running smoothly.
- Drink plenty of water. It’s easy to get dehydrated when you’re traveling. Keep a water bottle with you all the time. Find out how much water you should be drinking every day.
- Eat breakfast. This will not only start your day off right, but it will give you more energy and boost your metabolism. Check out these 10 quick and easy ideas for breakfast on the go.
We know staying fit can be hard when you’re balancing life as a Citizen-Soldier. If you need someone to talk to about managing the challenges of military life, you can connect with a Chaplain or Psychological Health Coordinator in your area. They provide confidential support and are available via text, phone call, or online chat.
Good luck getting back on track, we know you can do it!
- Learn how SGT Evans with the SCARNG got his fitness routine back on track.
- Sign up for FitText for motivational tips to help you train smarter, sleep better, and max your performance.
- Find daily motivation and inspiration from Guard Your Health on Instagram and Facebook.